Wednesday 29 February 2012

Day 50

As he pulled out one of the empty chairs and lowered himself down onto it he said, "So, Caleb, now that your stomach is full, maybe you can tell me what you're doing here?"

Caleb turned to Jarvis and with a certain sadness, said, "We've been friends for a long time. So I hope you'll understand when I say that I can't tell you why we're here."

Jarvis didn't say anything at first, he just stared back at Caleb. Eventually he seemed to make up his mind about something and turned to Kai as he said, "It's not much of a leap to guess your secrecy has something to do with this one here, but I won't pry; friendship has to count for something right?"

Kai was relieved the man seemed to have dropped the inquisition, but he didn't like the look in the man's eyes; as if he was still investigating in his mind.

Caleb answered his friend, "Thank you. I'm afraid I'm going to have to continue to abuse your hospitality." Caleb shifted in his chair uncomfortably before continuing, "I don't suppose you have a spare room we could use for the night?"