Wednesday 15 February 2012

Day 36

Kai wondered how long Caleb would be able to keep up this stony facade; it was as if yesterday's events had never occurred. He'd clearly changed, darker somehow, but given what he'd gone through just the day before, Caleb was most certainly not acting as one would expect.

As they walked quietly through the pass, Kai could see evidence of previous travelers: discarded cart wheels, rusty tools and burnt out fire pits. There was an eerie silence in the cold pass, that somehow felt threatening. Desperate to break the silence, Kai said, "I want to thank you again for everything you've done for me. I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry."

"I did what I had to do, that is all. None of what happened is your fault." replied Caleb in a matter of fact tone.

Kai was worried about Caleb. Worried that something had broken inside the man and would never be the same again. He needed him now, and so he pushed these worries aside. This made him feel vile, but it wasn't the first time he'd had to let the ends justify the means.