Thursday 23 February 2012

Day 44

Guarding the gate was a lone sentry, who seemed to be more interested in in daydreaming than being on the lookout for trouble. People were just walking in and out of the town without even a cursory glance. Kai supposed there wasn't much in the way of trouble to be had around here anyway.

They walked through the tall wooden gateway and into the town along with another group of travelers who arrived at the same time; no one gave them a second look.

"I remember an inn across town, they'll let you sleep in the barn and provide a hot meal if you ask nicely and help out with some chores." said Caleb as he headed into one of the meandering side streets.

"I do have some gold with me if we need to provide payment, we've found that it is universally accepted as currency, so it is what us ambassadors carry." replied Kai.

"It is best we appear to have nothing for now. We don't know whose watching or listening. Even in a small quiet town like this, trouble has a way of finding you if you're not careful." replied Caleb in a tone resembling that of a teacher lecturing a student.

Now slightly upset, but not wanting to make a scene, Kai said through gritted teeth, "I wasn't suggesting we flaunt it. I've been traveling for a while now you know? All I was suggesting is that we needn't sleep in a barn."

Realizing he'd offended the ambassador, Caleb said, "Fair enough, my apologies. Regardless, I recommend we keep it low key for now, draw as little attention as possible."